CML Policies & Registration Information
We offer lessons on violin, viola, cello, guitar, flute, clarinet, bassoon, piano, voice, saxophone, French horn, trumpet, trombone, euphonium, and percussion for ages 18 & up. Music instructors are matched with university and community learners interested in beginning or continuing study of an instrument or voice in a fun and supportive atmosphere. Flexible scheduling and performance opportunities with the CML program are an example of the Wisconsin Idea in practice.
We anticipate a return to in-person instruction in fall 2021. More registration information will be available by mid-August.
Tuition and Fees
2021-22 Tuition Rates
- Five 30-minute lessons = $135
- Ten 30-minute lessons = $210
- Five 45-minute lessons = $185
- Ten 45-minute lessons = $310
- Five 30-minute lessons = $160
- Ten 30-minute lessons = $260
- Five 45-minute lessons = $220
- Ten 45-minute lessons = $385
Practice Room access (optional, see below):
We accept Visa and MasterCard. We do not accept payments in cash. To pay with a check or with WiscCard, please contact the CML coordinator before registering.
Tuition must be paid in full at the time of registration. No lessons may be given without advance receipt of payment (lesson fee.)
Please keep these policies for reference. Participation in the CML program indicates agreement with the following:
- Minimum age for CML participation is 8 years old. Students must have already reached the age of 8 on or before the first lesson.
- Students are allowed one excused absence for which a make-up lesson will be scheduled by the teacher. An excused absence must be reported at least 24 hours before the lesson. Subsequent missed lessons will not be rescheduled or refunded.
- Students and Instructors are expected to arrive on time. Instructors are required to wait no longer than 10 minutes past the beginning of the scheduled lesson time. Missed lessons due to tardiness will not be refunded.
- Religious holiday conflicts should be resolved on an individual basis with the Instructor.
- Eating, drinking, and gum-chewing are not allowed in practice rooms or in any room with a piano.
- CML recommends that parents with children under the age of 18 accompany their son and/or daughter in the practice room in which the lesson is taking place. If a parent prefers to not be in the practice room, we ask that the parent remain outside of the practice room in the hallway in which the lesson is taking place or in the lobby if it is within earshot of the lesson. Before each lesson, a parent or guardian is required to initial a form that each instructor will have with them, stating that they were present either in the practice room or in the hallway for the lesson. This policy is intended to protect both students and instructors.
Practice Room Information for CML Participants
Practice room information for CML participants
Practice room access is optional and costs $125 per semester; click here to purchase.
During the academic year, practice rooms are open to CML participants during these times:
- Monday through Friday, 8 to 11 am and 4 to 11 pm.
- Saturday, 8 to 11 pm
- Sunday, 10 am.to 11 pm
During the summer, practice rooms are open to CML participants:
- 12-8 pm daily starting on May 15, excepting May 29, July 4, and Labor Day, when we are closed.
Practice room and building hours will be limited during University holidays, breaks, and emergencies.
For additional information on practice rooms, please visit the Music Facilities page.
CML prides itself on offering a wide variety of instruments for private study, though not all areas are available for instruction each semester. Instructor availability is first come, first serve.
Information for Lesson Providers
If you would like to give lessons, click to download these documents:
Links for current Lesson Providers:
Coordinator: Kathryn Szombatfalvy
Office: Room 4510, Humanities Building